What is it?
Mam Vëlo op d’Schaff oder an d’Schoul (“To work and school by bike”) is a challenge organised each year by Luxembourg Transport Administration to encourage people to try cycling to work or school.
The challenge is to cycle to work at least 15 times between May 15 and July 31. Of course, it’s possible to combine cycling with public transport if you live farther away. For example, someone living in Thionville could take the train to Luxembourg and then ride the rest of the way to work, either using their own bike or a rented Veloh! bike.
Participants sign up in teams of 2-4 people, who can be colleagues cycling to the same workplace or just friends who work for different companies. The goal is to motivate your teammates and compete for the Entreprise Cyclophile trophy or a prize from the draw.
Why should I take part?
It’s an excellent way to get in the habit of riding often, and the perfect opportunity to try cycling to work if you’ve never done it before. Riding as a team will help you feel more confident and motivated, and knowing that you can’t let your team down will help you make the effort to cycle those 15 days!
I took part last year and even though I already cycled to work sometimes, I was more of a ‘fair-weather’ cyclist. I challenged myself to not only cycle 15 days but everyday if possible, and it pushed me to begin cycling even on rainy days (which is about 80% of the time in Luxembourg). Cycling in the rain is as simple as cycling in the sun, except that you might need to take along a change of clothes 🙂
Even better, my team won a prize from the draw, vouchers to the Mondorf thermal baths, which is a pretty good way to relax your muscles after lots of cycling!
There are many prizes to be won this year, so there’s a good chance you’ll win something too.
How does registration work?
- Read more about the challenge (in French) on the Mam Vëlo op d’Schaff oder an d’Schoul website
- Register using this online form – you’ll need to provide the name and address of the team coordinator, and the email addresses of the other participants.
- Each team member will receive a confirmation email and an online account where each week they can enter their bike trips (as below).
- Enjoy the freedom of being on your bike and not stuck in the traffic jams around the city 🙂
- Continue entering your trips and once your teammates have each completed their 15 days, you’ll be entered into the prize draw/trophy competition!
How can I get started?
If you haven’t tried cycling to work yet, you can take a look through these resources to find the best routes to work and learn about the local bike sharing services.
Velomap.lu (Interactive and detailed bike map)
Vel’oh! (Luxembourg City and beyond)
Mamer Velo (Mamer)
Cycle Diddeleng (Dudelange)
La Code de la Route (traffic rules for cyclists and other vehicles – French only)